Monday 18 February 2013

DIY BIRD FEEDER




The ground is still covered with snow around here, but the birds have already started to come back from their winter holidays. My mom is really good at feeding the birds, so every winter the garden is usually full of them. I quite like having the bird chirping away outside my living room window, so I went out and bought a bag of bird seed mix to keep them happy. It's been quite a windy winter though, so I didn't realize until I got home that the wind had blown the birdhouse down. Since there's quite a lot of cats in our neighbourhood I didn't really think just sprinkling the seeds on the ground would be a very good idea and thus decided to make my own bird feeder in stead.

These bird feeders are really simple, as they're basically just birdseeds on a string. The birds loved them though, and I could hear them getting excited already when I was outside hanging them up in the apple tree. Making these is really easy, and you probably already have most of the supplies at home. You will of course need some sort of bird seed mix. You will also need some gelatin to make the seeds stick together, some strings to have something to hang your bird feeders with, and some moulds. I used some yoghurt pots that I cleaned out (after eating the yoghurt, obviously).






Directions: First prepare the moulds, by rubbing a bit of oil on the inside of them. This will make it easier to get the bird feeders out once they're set. Then dissolve the gelatin by following the directions on the packet. Once the gelatin is completely dissolved, add the seeds. Stir lots, to make sure all the seeds are covered in gelatin. Lay the two ends of the string at the bottom of the mould, and spoon in the seed mixture, making sure the string stays in place. Once the moulds are filled with seeds, set them in the fridge to allow the gelatine to set. I left mine over night, though I doubt you actually have to keep them in that long. Once they're all set, pop them out of the moulds and hang them on a tree! The birdies will love you for it.



1 comment:

  1. Love how you've made use of the yogurt containers. These are so cute too! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at BT

    ReplyDelete