Monday 22 July 2013

LINN'S SWEET POTATO SALAD


I think if it was up to me (and I lived somewhere a bit warmer), I’d BBQ and eat outside every day and never wear any shoes. Unfortunately I live nearer to the arctic circle than the equator though, which means I get a somewhat limited amount of hot and sunny days (and I have a suspicion that not wearing shoes in the office might get frowned upon). However, now that it’s summer we’ve been taking full advantage of the sunshine and the long light days. This weekend in particular was fantastic, and as Graeme and I recently got a BBQ and
are now totally in BBQ mode and aim to eat as many meals as possible outside in the garden. Is there anything more summery?

This sweet potato salad is, as the title suggests, based on a recipe I got from my friend Linn. She served it at her BBQ last weekend, and it was so delicious I had seconds, and then thirds. I love the soft sweet potato mixed with the crunchy peppers and almonds. Lots of textures, lots of flavours, lots of deliciousness. It’s a perfect side for a BBQ and has been my go to dish since I got the recipe. I have changed the recipe slightly since I got it, so here’s my version of Linn’s sweet potato salad.


Linn's Sweet Potato Salad recipe:
750 g sweet potatoes, cubed
100 g almonds, chopped
1 red pepper, sliced
½ red onion, thinly sliced
zest and juice of half a lemon
1 tblsp olive oil
handful of rosemary
handful of parsley


Directions: Start by cubing your sweet potatoes. Spread them on a baking sheet with some oil and season with salt and pepper, and let them roast for about 20-25 minutes. While your potatoes are roasting chop the almonds, and then throw them in with the potatoes for the last 5 minutes to toast them. Combine pepper, onion, parsley and lemon zest in a bowl, and add the roasted sweet potatoes. To make the dressing, combine lemon juice, chopped rosemary and olive oil in a small bowl, and whisk together. Pour it over the potato mixture and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle the toast almonds on top and serve with whatever you decided to throw on your BBQ today.



No comments:

Post a Comment