Monday 10 February 2014

DIY REPURPOSED WOOD HEADBOARD

I’ve been slowly but surely turning the spare room into a guest room. Unfortunately I don’t have a before picture, but if you close your eyes and imagine a square room full of boxes with baby blue walls and floral borders near the ceiling and cream velour curtains, then you’re pretty much there. Last summer however, the boxes were removed, it was painted white and I hung up some light and airy curtains. Then the room sat empty for a few months before I bought a double bed and moved in a pair of old JVC speakers in as bedside tables. It still looked pretty bare though, so making a headboard has been on my to-do list for a while.

I’ve actually been wanting to make a headboard for years. I’ve seen so many different headboard projects, and they look like so much fun to make! I actually started a fabric one a few years ago in our old Glasgow flat, and it was going great until I tidied it away in a closet for a bit and Bo decided to turn it into a bed and completely ruined it. 


This time though, I wanted to make one out of wood. I’ve seen so many cool repurposed wood headboard projects, and as I just happen to have a garage full of random bits of wood leftover from previous projects it seemed like the perfect fit. So one evening I finally got the stepladder out and rummaged through the attic of the garage, where I found some suitable wood. I cut the wood down to size so that each plank was 2 meters long, and my two support blanks in the back were 1 meter long (I based these measurements on the size of the bed itself). Once the wood was assembled, I stained the headboard with a stain called “driftwood” to get the aged wood effect. And ta da! I only used one coat of stain, as I really wanted the numbers on the planks to shine through for an industrial effect. I’m so happy with the result I’ve actually been leaving the door to the guestroom open, as it makes me smile when I walk past it haha. Guests welcome!

4 comments:

  1. Hilde this is gorgeous!! I love everything about it! Well done! :) -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexandra! Pretty happy with the result! :)

      Delete
  2. Det ble kjempefint! Jeg er så glad for at du fant bloggen min og la igjen en kommentar hos meg, ellers er det ikke sikkert jeg ville oppdaga bloggen din på lenge, og det hadde vært synd, for du har en kjempefin blogg som jeg gleder meg til å følge med på videre. Veldig hyggelig at du lot deg inspirere av string-kopien min, og hvis du har vinnerlykke kan du faktisk stikke av med din egen i giveawayen jeg har gående nå! Her er linken hvis du vil delta: http://herskalvibyggeogbo.blogspot.no/2014/02/g-i-v-e-w-y.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takk! Og ja, det må jeg jo være med på! :)

      Delete